No more excuses - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews

No more excuses

User Tag List

tailwaggers's Avatar tailwaggers
11:15 AM 04-05-2007
Well, I went on Monday and had my first physical in 8 years. Of course, I was told that I needed to lose weight. No big surprise there!
My blood pressure was 110/73
The doctor also did blood work. They called today. Everything was fine. My cholesterol is great,
I had an extra test done to screen for heart disease because of my family history. My uncle (dad's brother) died at 40 from a heart attack, my dad died at 54 of a heart attack, and my grandfather had a heart attack when he was about 72. All of the men on my paternal grandmother's side of the family died early and of heart attacks.
So . . . today they tell me that my blood work shows an elevated risk for heart disease. Not surprising, but scary. I have to start taking 325mg of aspirin daily. I am 37 years old! I should not be worrying about this.
So, NO MORE EXCUSES, no more laziness. It starts today. I have two kids I want to see grow up.
But, I need y'all to help me be accountable for exercising and eating right. I have fallen into TERRIBLE eating habits in the past few years. It's going to take a lot of discipline to break those habits.
Also, the doctor thinks I might have sleep apnea, so I have to have a sleep study done.
Dawn's Avatar Dawn
11:40 AM 04-05-2007
First,

Second, good for you for wanting to do something about this now!

Third, I've seen quite a few people wish sleep apnea have it go away completely once they've lost some weight.

With all that being said .... first thing you need to do is come up with a plan. Decide what you're going to do and how you're going to do it, then stick to your plan!

A great place to start is to go to FitDay.com and start tracking what you are eating now. Be honest about it .. it will help you decide what you need to change up first. Once you see how many calories you are eating and what kinds of food, you can start making adjustments. Do NOT try to do it all over night. That's where a lot of people go wrong. If you can afford it, I highly recommend Weight Watchers. It eliminates the need to count all those calories and to me, counting points is easier.

Then start planning for 15 minutes of exercise per day. With the weather getting prettier, just strolling the baby around the block would be a good start. Next week, bump it up to 20 minutes, and so on. Again, start slow because you don't want to hurt yourself or over do it.

Anyway ... these are just my suggestions for getting started. Feel free to join us over at PFZ for our challenges or just the moral support!
Grace's Avatar Grace
01:06 PM 04-05-2007
Dawn has some good suggestions. I'm right there with you, Tammy.
dinapooh2's Avatar dinapooh2
04:01 PM 04-05-2007

Liz&NicksMom's Avatar Liz&NicksMom
05:01 PM 04-05-2007
Hey Tammy we should check in with each other every day.....I am in the same boat as you. I have gotten really really really bad eating habits.....which are great for the kids as they dont' need to avoid the starches and stuff....but I know I sure the heck do
05:15 PM 04-05-2007
Thanks, Dawn. I love WW. I did it for a while in college and lost 20-25 pounds in literally two or three months.
Michele, I think that's a great idea!
05:36 PM 04-05-2007
Ok girl....so what have you done to change things today?

I have only had 3 cups of coffee so far instead of my usual 8 or so
I cup of herbal tea....going to have cup #2 now
oh and a ham and swiss sandwich from Mcdonalds (kids and I were out doing errands)
06:19 PM 04-05-2007
Well, I had one "cup" of coffee today--it's my Alabama mug, so it's probably like two cups. The rest of the day I have been drinking water.
Here's what I have eaten so far:
mini-bagel with 1 tbsp low fat peanut butter
1 banana
15 pretzels
chopped pork sandwich
tossed salad with a little light ranch dressing
Oh, and I took my 325 mg aspirin too!
06:23 PM 04-05-2007
I am cup #3 of herbal tea (vanilla--yummy). I have to have my caffeine in the morning, but I am trying to stay away from it the rest of the time. I do have diet caffeine free coke in my pantry, but have been trying not to drink it so much....but hey at least its diet.....and caffeine free

My exercise today has been running up and down the stair chasing after the kids and giving them heck.....oh and I vacuumed my floors too...but i dont' work up much of a sweat doing that....later I will be mopping them....I work up a sweat doing that
Grace's Avatar Grace
08:30 AM 04-17-2007
How's it going, Tammy? At FitDay you can keep track of your activities too. I don't generally do that, because I know pretty much how much exercise I am gettting, but it might be helpful in starting out.

You can do it, girl!
09:20 AM 04-17-2007
Well, I think I am doing pretty well. I am trying my best to make better food choices. We went to a steak restaurant on Friday evening, and instead of having steak (I love red meat), I had salmon. We did have pizza on Saturday night, but I only had a couple of slices and I took the sausage off and had a big tossed salad with a little bit of fat free dressing on it. Even when I did WW, I would eat pizza occasionally and still lost weight. We haven't been getting our walks in, though because it's been yucky weather here--raining over the weekend and then high winds and cold on Sunday. BUT I have been exercising when I dry my hair. I have a ton of hair, so I can do a lot while drying my hair. We do have a treadmill, but it's been cast aside in the basement due to MIL moving in down there, and we are trying to make room in the garage for it. I really LOVE walking on the treadmill.
Also, I have traded in my white bread for whole weat, instead of having baked potato, I have steamed vegetables, eating more fruit, etc. Overall I think I am doing well. I have not gotten on the scales and don't plan to for another week or so.
Thank you so much for checking in with me and for the encouragement!
Grace's Avatar Grace
10:22 AM 04-17-2007
Good job! You're doing great!
Reply Up